The Canberra Southern Cross Club operates, manages and maintains a modern complex of restaurant, bar, gaming and function facilities for the enjoyment of its members and guests. Visitors can enjoy some of Canberra’s finest dining, entertainment, special events and functions at any one of the Club’s locations – Woden, Tuggeranong, Jamison, the Yacht Club, and Stellar Canberra Health and Wellness centre.
With more than 500 staff and 84,000 members, the Canberra Southern Cross Club is aware of the potential environmental impacts of it’s operations and as such is committed to promoting the core values of sustainability and best practice environmental management throughout all our club operations.
To achieve this we:
- Identify and manage environmental aspects within our operation and apply best practice principles to ensure pollution prevention and the conservation of natural resources;
- Constantly strive to achieve continual improvement in our environmental performance by making business decisions that work towards sustainable outcomes;
- Meet and where appropriate, exceed the requirements of all relevant legislation, regulations and other requirements to which we subscribe;
- Utilise the e-par environmental management system framework to plan document, measure and monitor environmental performance including setting and assessing environmental objectives and targets, and conducting periodic reviews to report on progress;
- Continue to recognise the environmental recreational, social and community significance of the role CSCC plays in the ACT community;
- Openly communicate this policy to all employees, contractors, regulators, and other stakeholders and make this policy available to the general public and local community;
- Foster an environmentally responsible attitude within our organisation by providing appropriate training and competency assessments
- Ensure all those who work for or on behalf of the Canberra Southern Cross Club aspire to our expected standards of environmental performance and behaviour.
Notable environmental actions include:
- Solar Panels are installed across Woden, Tuggeranong, Jamison and Stellar Canberra.
- In 2012 the Club joined forces with Canberra owned company, Chemworks, to use cleaning products with the safest most biodegradable and most sustainable type of ingredients.
- Large scale thermal hot water systems are installed at both our Tuggeranong and Woden venues.
- In 2010, the Southern Cross Club Group introduced a Vermiculture program which sends all food scraps to local worm farms.
- We have a licence to harvest 1 mega Litre (1,000,000 litres) of ground water per annum which is used to irrigate the Woden Club’s grounds
- Where possible the Club has replaced high energy lights with LEDs.
- The Club Group also endeavors to support local providores, including local wineries such as Lake George Winery, Clonakilla, Long Rail Gully and Mount Majura; local brewers Capital Brewery and Bentspoke; plus local merchants including iconic Canberra companies Pialligo Estate, Lonsdale Street Roasters, Canberra Truffle Farm, and multi award winning locals Pure Gelato.